Re: Is there anybody interested in supporting GB18030 in debian?

Hi,

At Fri, 19 Jan 2001 22:01:02 +0800,
suzhe <suzhe@gnuchina.org> wrote:

> China government published the GB18030 encoding standard last year. I
> think this is a very important standard for
> mainland of China, because the government requests all of the OSes must
> support GB18030 before Aug 31th 2001.
> I wonder if debian will support GB18030 and is there anybody interested
> in it?

Glibc-2.2 already have GB18030 locale.  Thus, properly internationalized
softwares will work well with GB18030 under LANG=zh_CN.GB18030 locale.
However, unfortunately, not many softwares are internationalized yet.
Please refer "Introduction to I18N" in Debian Documentation Project.
This document has hints to internationalize softwares.

XFree86 also need GB18030 locale, which is not supported yet.