groff and i18n

Hello!

I want to rise this question again. The last time, it was decided
"groff should be rewritten!", and nothing happened.  I've made some
screenshots of running groff on my machine with russian locale viewing
russian manpage of rpm (it is the only one russian manpage currently
in distribution, I'll upload other russin manpages when the problem is
solved).

http://auric.debian.org/~nidd/man-correct.png

This screenshot shows correct work of groff. This is done by running
`man rpm' on potato (with latin1 device).

http://auric.debian.org/~nidd/man-nippon.png

This screenshot shows incorrect work of groff. Nippon works almost
good, but it has some bugs. You will find them if you  compare it with
-correct.png. This is done by running
zcat /usr/share/man/ru/man8/rpm.8.gz | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff \
-mandoc -Tnippon |less

http://auric.debian.org/~nidd/man-latin1.png

This screenshot shows incorrect work of groff. This is done with
command
zcat /usr/share/man/ru/man8/rpm.8.gz | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff \
-mandoc -Tlatin1 |less

http://auric.debian.org/~nidd/man-ascii.png

This screenshow shows incorrect work of groff. This is done with
command
zcat /usr/share/man/ru/man8/rpm.8.gz | /usr/bin/tbl | /usr/bin/nroff \
-mandoc -Tascii |less

I want to repeat, that all this bugs began after meging groff and
groff-ja. groff-ja had buggy japanese patch (mb it wasn't buggy for
all non-latin1 multibyte encodings, but for non-latin1 non-multibyte
encodings it is _very_ buggy) and after applying it groff became buggy
too. If this won't be fixed in a month I'll have to  (I can't find
another way)  ITP and then upload groff-ru package, that is based on
groff without japanese patch, because freeze of woody is really soon.

					NIDD
The Debian Project. Debian@Linux Expo Road Show coordinator.
Visit http://people.debian.org/~nidd/LERS-TODO.html if you're intrested.