Re: debian and the linux-unicode HOWTO

> Frederic Seraphine <Frederic.Seraphine@inrialpes.fr>:
>
> > I just read the linux-UNICODE HOWTO to try to enable the unicode and utf8
> > support and I wonders how I can fit it with debian.
> >
> > I reckon that as it needs a glibc 2.2, muy only choice is to use
> > unstable/sid. But as to configuration, choice of packages, is there a
> > roadmap or somewhere I can't find the information ?
>
> It depends exactly what you want to do.

I use amaya to draft web pages, with the upcoming utf8 support in xhtmlin
amaya, I wanted to be sure to be able to edit utf8 document in a text
editor, like vim or emacs.

> I use Debian 2.2, but with UTF-8 xterms, Mutt with UTF-8 as its
> charset, and Emacs configured to work in UTF-8.

That's almost I want to do, just replace mutt by vim :-). And all this
under x11.

> The main thing I don't have for all-round Unicode support is the
> latest X. I can only enter non-ascii characters by using Emacs's input
> methods, and copy and paste with the mouse tends not to work between
> different programs, though it does work between two xterms or within
> Emacs, or if you're only copying ascii, of course.

Ok, so apparently, there's not much to do except getting the utf8 enabled
programs.

Thanks for the insight.

--

					Frédéric Séraphine

	Tel: 476 61 53 85 	-	Fax: 476 61 52 07
	INRIA Rhone-Alpes - ZIRST - 655 Avenue de l'Europe - Montbonnot
	38334 Saint Ismier Cedex - France