groff: ad-hoc fix

Hi,

This thread is about the 'ad-hoc fix' of groff.

Though the design of Groff is confused and this confusingness
is the original cause of this problem, it is a fact that the
present version of Debian's groff has a considerable bug.  We
have to fix this bug ASAP, since the radical re-implementation
will take some time.

Fortunately, Sano has proposed an ad-hoc patch.  The patch was
reported at

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n-0010/msg00009.html .

This patch disables EUC check for 'latin1' and 'ascii8' device.
Please check the patch, Russian, Polish, Korean, and other non-
ISO8859-1/Japanese people.

IMHO, devices other than tty cannot be treated properly with
this patch, due to the confision of the design of original groff
which I wrote above.  Concretely speaking, Should EUC check be
disabled also for 'ps', 'x75', 'x100', and 'dvi'?  Japanese people
would say no, other people would say yes.  To solve this problem,
I think we have to wait for the 'radical re-implementation'.
However, I hope someone will comment on this point.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/