latin1 handling of groff (Re: man&groff from woody)

Hi. sorry for long delay.

In <20000725161437.B5248@logic.ru>,  on Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:14:37 +0400,
 Peter Novodvorsky <petya@logic.ru> wrote:

> Russian mans don't work under woody:
> groff          1.15.3-2
> man-db         2.3.17-1
> When i make 'man <some_russian_man>' (for example rpm manpage from
> woody)  it seems it doesn't give all russian symbols. When i make
> man -Tlatin1 it gives something like this:
> /tmp/zmanHAaOK2:141: warning: can't find special character `wchard1c5'
>
> Is it my fault or i should report it to maintainer of groff&man-db?

I found this is one of (bad) side-effect of jgroff patch.  I wrote a
quick&dirty hack patch for this problem, but other members in Debian JP
Project now plan to improve wide-char support of groff more cleanly, and
maybe some of them can make more smart solution, I hope.

BTW, can you tell me how you can read russian manpages ?

Do you use the console ? or some terminal on X11 ?

I can make "man" command to output much characters, but they are shown as
some weird symbols on xterm even I set LANG=ru or LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R.
I suppose they are not russian characters, and there is some special way
to show the russian characters on the screen, maybe.

Korean text also can not be shown by groff 1.15.3-2 with -Tlatin1,
but they can be shown on hanterm (X11 terminal emulator for Korean)
using groff 1.16-1 + my "evil" patch.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>