Please test: Netscape 4.73 packages with CJK support
[Note: Please Cc: me too when you're replying. Thanks!]
A new test version of Debian packages for Netscape 4.73 is now
available. The new version 4.73-19.3 | 4.73-32.1.4 fixes some bugs in
4.73-19 | 4.73-32. It also merges the Japanese and Korean Netscape
resources, originally packaged by the Debian JP and Debian-KR Projects:
netscape-base-ja-4 & netscape-jp-resource-473; netscape-base-ko-4 &
netscape-base-ko-473; into the main Debian Netscape source packages.
As well, Chinese Netscape resource files have been newly added.
If you are interested, especially the CJK (Chinese/Japanese/Korean)
support, please download the test packages from
or, better yet, use apt-get to do it automatically. Here are the
lines to be added to /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://pandora.debian.org/~foka/netscape-cjk ./
deb-src http://pandora.debian.org/~foka/netscape-cjk ./
If you are only interested in testing the bug fixes, you only need:
netscape-base-4 (4.73-32.1.4), netscape-base-473 (4.73-19.3)
If you want to test the CJK (zh, ja, ko) support, you'll also need
one or more of these:
But of course, if you have the speed and bandwidth, feel free to
upgrade to all the other packages too. (There are no changes to the
other packages though AFAIK. :-)
Please test, and let us know if you notice any problems, error, warning
messages, etc. :-) If all goes well, these fixes will go into 4.73-20 |
Special thanks to:
Adam Heath <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Fumitoshi UKAI <email@example.com>
Takuo KITAME <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Masato Taruishi <email@example.com>
UNO Takeshi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
KiHyeon Seo <email@example.com>
and many other people for providing the original ja and ko packages,
and for help, advice, testing, bug-fixing, and a lot more. :-)
Here are the detailed changelogs:
netscape4.73 (4.73-19.3) frozen unstable; urgency=low
* The "$SHELL" string was missing in front of a "./my-install" call
in debian/installer, which again resulted in a somewhat empty
netscape-base-473. Closes: #66108, #66689.
* No longer creates empty /usr/X11R6/bin directory for the *-base-*
packages. Thanks to Thibaut Cousin for the report. Close: #66108.
* Added Chinese, Japanese and Korean (CJK) Netscape resources.
Special thanks to the Debian JP, Debian-KR, and and Debian ZH
Projects. Note that the netscape-base-ko-473 package in "potato-kr"
is superceded by netscape-ko-resources-473. Closes: #66633.
* Added window manager menu entries for ja, ko, zh_CN and zh_TW.Big5.
These set both LANG and LC_ALL.
* Added Build-Depends: debhelper, libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1, libxpm4, xlib6g,
libc5, libg++27, xlib6, xpm4.7
* Closing old non-bugs. Closes: #56228, #56651, #56652.
netscape4.base (1:4.73-32.1.4) frozen unstable; urgency=low
* Non-maintainer non-upload (unreleased): Closing bug reports...
* Added "if [ -d $d ]; then ... fi" in wrapper to check for the various
wrapper.d directories safely, and at the same time eliminates the
warning messages in 4.73-32. Thanks to Debian-KR Project developer
KiHyeon Seo for the patch.
Closes: #66269, #66286, #66343, #66375, #66378, #66382.
* Type fix: s/an/as/ in "Cannot be run an root" in the wrapper.
Thanks to James Van Zandt and Thomas Koehler for the report.
Closes: #63214, #64429.
* Removed bogus "-a" from rm's argument in wrapper.
Closes: #61438, #65711.
* Changed "printf" to "/usr/bin/printf" as suggested by Konstantin
Kivi to fix a locale problem w.r.t. "," and ".". Closes: #61450.
* Added a missing retval=$? (for netscape -remote) in the wrapper so
that the proper exit code is returned. Thanks, Evan Martin!
* Closing old bug reports (the one-char typo) fixed in 4.73-32.
Closes: #66092, #66094, #66095, #66098, #66100, #66103, #66106;
Closes: #66112, #66118, #66139, #66141.
-- Anthony Fok <firstname.lastname@example.org> Thu, 6 Jul 2000 06:18:24 -0600
netscape4.base (1:4.73-32.1.3) frozen unstable; urgency=low
* Non-maintainer non-upload: CJK Test Bug Fix 3
- Fix bug that File Save As dialog always popup
"Character 'x' is not supported by font"
-- Fumitoshi UKAI <email@example.com> Thu, 6 Jul 2000 18:04:09 +0900
netscape4.base (1:4.73-32.1.2) frozen unstable; urgency=low
* Non-maintainer non-upload: CJK Test Bug Fix 2
- Fix bug that File Download dialog sometimes popup
"Character 'x' not supported by font"
-- Fumitoshi UKAI <firstname.lastname@example.org> Thu, 6 Jul 2000 13:50:50 +0900
netscape4.base (1:4.73-32.1.1) frozen unstable; urgency=low
* Non-maintainer non-upload: CJK Test Bug Fix
- fix <input type="text"> reset problem by ns-bogus-locale
by Fumitoshi UKAI <email@example.com>
-- Fumitoshi UKAI <firstname.lastname@example.org> Thu, 6 Jul 2000 04:42:29 +0900
netscape4.base (1:4.73-32.1) frozen unstable; urgency=low
* Non-maintainer non-upload: CJK Test release!
* Conglomerated Chinese, Japanese and Korean (CJK) support.
* Merged: netscape-base-ja-4 by UNO Takeshi <email@example.com>,
and TARUISHI Masato <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
* Merged: netscape-base-ko-4 by KiHyeon Seo <email@example.com>.
* Essentialy, it preloads libnsfix-wcsmbs.so and ns_bogus_locale.so to
correct problems with CJK multibyte characters entry in Netscape.
* Added Build-Depends: debhelper, altgcc, libc5-dev, libdl1-altdev.
* Added "2>/dev/null" to ls output in wrapper to hide harmless warning
-- Anthony Fok <firstname.lastname@example.org> Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:24:24 -0600
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling Civil and Environmental Engineering
email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org University of Alberta, Canada
Debian Chinese Project -- http://www.debian.org/international/chinese/
Come visit Our Lady of Victory Camp -- http://www.olvc.ab.ca/