Re: Gettext and LC_MESSAGES

Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@surfchem0.riken.go.jp> wrote:
> From: "Petr Kolar" <Petr.Kolar@vslib.cz>
> Subject: Re: Gettext and LC_MESSAGES
> Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:10:38 +0200
>
> > If I understand it well, you must set that you're using German language
> > in Germany (de_DE), while most catalogs are just in German language. But
> > if you would have some program containing messages eg. about the capital,
> > money, etc. (which depends on the state), you should have catalogs de_DE
> > (with Berlin and marks) de_AT (with Wien and schilings), de_CH (with Bern
> > and franks).
>
> Yes, so, setlocale(LC_MONETARY, "de") should fail while
> setlocale(LC_MONETARY, "de_DE") should work.  However,
> I am discussing about LC_MESSAGES, not LC_MONETARY.
> (I don't know the name of the capital should be treated
> with locale system.)

I admit I have not choosen the best examples. But currently the name
of the capital can be placed only in LC_MESSAGES (if needed). And AFAIK
LC_MONETARY contains only int_curr_symbol and currency_symbol (the
abbreviations), so full names of the currencies must be also given in
LC_MESSAGES (also only if needed by some program). If the messages contains
word "colour" or "theatre", there should be also more catalogs for english
(some with "colour" and some with "color", some with "theater" and some
with "theatre") - and these catalogs will be in en_US en_GB etc., not in
en.

GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.or.jp> wrote:
> gettext and XFont* are different issue. Separate.
> However, I agree that we should use not XFontStruct but XFontset.

It seems it is due to lack of documentation and experience. Like most
(American) programmers did not write programs that worked with 8 bit
characters in old days, many European programmers kill the program for
Japanesse today, as they don't know, how to write it correctly, and
also many Japanesse don't realize that there are other charsets (eg.
ISO-8859-2) between ASCII or ISO-8859-1 and multibyte charsets.
I don't think it is for bad intention...

                                                    With regards
--
                          ***  Petr Kolar  ***
 Department of Information Technologies, Technical University of Liberec