Re: Gettext and LC_MESSAGES

Hi,

From: Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@idis.co.kr>
Subject: Re: Gettext and LC_MESSAGES
Date: 24 May 2000 12:00:47 +0900

> Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@surfchem0.riken.go.jp> writes:
>
> [..]
> > There should be two discussions: (1) Why setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, "de")
> > fails?  Should we improve locale database to have "de" locale?
>
> Because the glibc maintainer decided so.  There is no locale db named
> as "de" in glibc.  But the message catalogs are stored in "de"....
>
> > (2) Why German message is displayed while setlocale() fails?  Is this
> > a bug of gettext or glibc?
>
> Gettext does not depends on the success of setlocale().  I guess this
> is because some systems lack setlocale().

I understand.  However, I don't understand why....

From: "Petr Kolar" <Petr.Kolar@vslib.cz>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 13:10:38 +0200

> If I understand it well, you must set that you're using German language
> in Germany (de_DE), while most catalogs are just in German language. But
> if you would have some program containing messages eg. about the capital,
> money, etc. (which depends on the state), you should have catalogs de_DE
> (with Berlin and marks) de_AT (with Wien and schilings), de_CH (with Bern
> and franks).

Yes, so, setlocale(LC_MONETARY, "de") should fail while
setlocale(LC_MONETARY, "de_DE") should work.  However,
I am discussing about LC_MESSAGES, not LC_MONETARY.
(I don't know the name of the capital should be treated
with locale system.)

> If you set de_DE and the catalog is not found in de_DE, it is looked for
> in de. So it is better to use de_DE or german or deutsch (the last two
> are alises to de_DE.ISO-8859-1).

If gettext works well for LANG=de, many people would think
LANG=de is correct.  I posted this thread because I feel many
European-language-speakers prefer XFontStruct (conventional
text output faculty of X11) to XFontSet (internationalized text
output of X11R5) because they think XFontSet doesn't work with
8bit characters.  I suspect that this is because they set LANG
in wrong way, like "de".

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/