Re: Debian for the developing world: help with human languages

> JC Helary <helary@eskimo.com> writes:
>
>> I am back from a trip to Cambodia and was surprised to see so many windows
>> machines everywhere.
>>
>> I wondered then what was khmer support on debian
>
> I'm in Malaysia this week at the "Global Knowledge II" conference,
> (www.globalknowledge.org) participating in a workshop on using Debian
> and Free Software in developing communities... I've heard comments
> similar to yours about other countries as well.  It seems there's a
> lack of awareness more than a lack of government support.  I'll see if
> I can get any contacts in Cambodia while I'm here, to get them (and
> these other backward Microsoft-dominated countries) interested in some
> good legally free software.
>
> If you're aware of specific Cambodian (or other) organizations or
> individuals we should try to help, let us know.

I have started to have some good feedback from the lists where I send a
similar request.

I checked the page for Global Knowledge and I found interesting information.

I do have some contacts in Cambodia, still I do not know what the need
really are (besides the fact that they are huge).

Plus I don't exactly know the technical problems associated to developping
free systems and promoting them.

I would be glad to continue this discussion when you are back from the
conference and see what debian or other groups can do to propose sustainable
solutions.

JC Helary