Re: Debian and Li18nux ?

On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 01:34:49PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
|flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de writes:
|
|> I just saw the announcement of the Linux Internationalisation Initiative
|> (Li18nux, http://www.li18nux.org). The members page lists most Linux
|> distributions (among them Caldera, RedHat, SuSE, TurboLinu), but not
|> Debian. Instead, it includes "Debimaru GNU/Linux"
|> (http://llc.linet.gr.jp/~yochi/debimaru/), which seems to be related to
|> Debian-JP somehow (the page is Japanese).
|>
|> I don't know much about the Li18nux organization, nor about debian-i18n
|> (I'm also not subscribed to this list, please send a cc to me), but since
|> this seems to be an reasonable effort, I wonder if the Debian project
|> should join as institutional member, too.
|
|A bit offtopic:
|
|I felt that the Initiative was too closed and bureaucratic.  I don't
|know much about what the Initiative want to do, but I'm sure their
|membership application form will operate as a barrier to new comers.

|--
|Changwoo Ryu

After reading www.li18nux.org I think they are not as buearucratic as
you think. The application form may just be used for providing more
info for them to know more about the parties who are willing to join,
as I can see that there are lots of organizations that have already
been accepted. As they say in their homepage they are open to anyone,
I think this is true.

I _really_ hope that someone from Debian JP or Debian KR (or any other
who are knowledgeable about i18n matters) can come out and be the
representative of Debian and join Li18nux, because Debian is a major
player in the GNU/Linux scene and we definitely should have a voice
in it. Anyone wants to take the job?

--
Anthony Wong.