Re: need help for l10n issue

At Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:33:22 +0200,
Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it> wrote:

> I need some input from Japanese users: how can I check in a VERY SIMPLE
> way if the console works with japanese characters[1]?

Maybe, there are no simple way to check whether tty is able to handle
Japanese character or not.

I think it's the easiest way to check $LANG environment variable.
If user set LANG=ja (or ja_JP.*), we can assume he or she knows how to
view Japanese character on tty.

(snip)
> [1] I don't know which charset, it's the one used by whois.nic.ad.jp

AFAIK, whois.nic.ad.jp uses ISO-2022-JP encoding, described in RFC1468.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI