Re: need help for l10n issue

Hi,

From: "Marco d'Itri" <md@linux.it>
Subject: need help for l10n issue
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:33:22 +0200

> I need some input from Japanese users: how can I check in a VERY SIMPLE
> way if the console works with japanese characters[1]?

At first, you need a file written in Japanese characters.
Since there are three codesets in Japan you have to prepare three files.

For example, install user-ja package and gunzip
/usr/share/doc/user-ja/README.jis.  This file is written
in JIS (aka ISO-2022-JP) Japanese code.
If it is displayed correctly, you can read a character like:

  *       *
  *   **********
  *       *
 *        *
 *     *******
 * *  *   *   *
  *    ***     *

  (vertical line at the left of the character, horizonal line
  at the top of the rest space, vertical line with circle-like
  shape, which cross the horizonal line)
next to 'user-ja' and a space at the first line.
The end of the line is a small circle.
Use 'cat' or 'head' to display.  'less' and so on may affect
the code.  (or may not. I don't know.)

Next, you have to check another two codes.
One is EUC-JP and the another is SHIFT-JIS (aka MS KANJI).

Install nkf package (text section).
$ nkf -e README.jis >README.euc
$ nkf -s README.jis >README.sjs
makes README.euc in EUC-JP codeset and README.sjs in SHIFT-JIS codeset.
Check these files in the same way as README.jis.

I think it is impossible to display EUC-JP and SHIFT-JIS at the same
time because their code spaces overlap.

BTW, what are you making?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>