Re: man-db locale support

Hi, Fabrizio. I have installed your new man-db 2.3.10-69s.
Thank you for your quick action. :)

In <19991028190918.M689@none> at Thu, 28 Oct 1999 19:09:18 +0300,
   Fabrizio Polacco <fab@prosa.it> writes:

fab> On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 09:37:08AM +0900, Taketoshi Sano wrote:
fab> >
fab> >  Can I ?
fab>
fab> Yup.

Thank you.
 (I don't know the correct meaning of "yup", but I think it may means yes here)

fab> as a side note, I've jsut prepared man-db with the japanese manpages in
fab> /usr/share/man/ja/...

We should consider where the correct place of manpages for Japanese in EUC-JP.
But in the current situation, your decision above is useful and proper, I think.

fab> What is the status of jgroff ? Are they merging it with groff?
fab> and jless? is it possible to merge upstream?

The base of the current Debian package of jgroff (0.100-2) is your groff (1.11a-2),
so you can check the patch for jgroff. I don't know why the maintainer of jgroff
has not responded, maybe he has been terribly busy nowadays.

I have been working at merge of gs-ja into gs, so I have not checked the possibility
of jgroff, sorry. I have downloaded the source of both package (groff and jgroff)
and have glanced them, but have not worked yet.

README.jp in source tree for jgroff says the author of this jgroff patch is
Kitagawa Toshiyuki <tm-kita@kh.rim.ne.jp> and Yanagihara Yoshiaki <yochi@debian.or.jp>
(the latter is the maintainer of jgroff Debian package) and this jgroff is fully
compatible to original groff when the roff data does not have Japanese characters.
The license of this patch is GPL2.

If you can make the enhanced groff package which includes the support for Japanese,
I am willing to test it.

And jless,,, I don't know about jless except that it can display Japanese characters
while the original less can not. from the copyright of jless package, the upstream of
jless patch can be reached via http://www.pobox.com/~jam/less/.
This page is written in English, so you can check there for information about jless.

Thank you for working at i18n. I will check jgroff after I have finished gs related
and boot-floppies related work.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>