Re: i18n/l10n basics

Hi,

Eduardo Alvarez <punga@crosswinds.net> wrote:
>    I am very interested in finding a good reference to i18n.  This mean
> what is to be modified, how to remap the keyboard so one can type
> characters in other languages (personal example:  Accents in spanish)
> and how to make the computer display such characters (as via kterm, eg)
>
>    It would really help me out.  Just coming from a DOS environment, Im
> a bit lost in how to achieve said info

I am writing a document on i18n.  You can find it in the DDP
(Debian Documentation Project) web page.

Though the document is oriented to programmers and package maintainers,
it has a chapter on specific languages (now Japanese and Spanish are
available).  This may help you (or may not).

If you need a information about setting-up of Spanish environment,
please try 'user-es' package, though I don't know about the contents.

If you are interested in building a kind of database for newbies or
constracting an automatic setting-up software of language environment,
please join my I18N OF USER-* PACKAGES project.  My 'user-ja' package
supplies a script to semi-automatically setting up language (Japanese)
environment,  mainly by adding lines for his/her dot-files (~/.bashrc,
~/.cshrc, ~/.xsession, ~/.Xresource, ~/.inputrc, and so on).  I am
trying to internationalize 'user-ja' package and am interested in
supporting Spanish.

If you are interested in 'user-ja', please read 'README.i18n' file in
the user-ja package (in source or /usr/share/doc/user-ja directory).

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/