Re: man-db locale support

At Thu, 14 Oct 1999 18:31:33 +0300,
Fabrizio Polacco <fab@prosa.it> wrote:

> > > # LANG=ja_JP.ujis is needed for jless, and LANG=ja does not work
> > > # for us currently,,,
> >
> > This can be fixed by jless, see charset.c.
> > Or use JLESSCHARSET instead of LESSCHARSET that is overrided by man-db.
>
> ah, I always miss a part of the cake :-)
> What is needed by jless?
> Do you need that LESSCHARSET is set to something different when LANG is
> set to ja_JP.ujis or ja or what?

I think LESSCHARSET=ja for LANG=ja* works no problem.
check struct charset charsets[] and search_charset() in jless-332iso242.
strncmp(name="ja", p->name="japanese", namelen=strlen("ja")) == 0, so
"ja" will match one of japanese* in charsets[].

To summarize in order to Japanese manual pages,
 * install recent version of man-db, jgroff, jless, manpages-ja

 * set LANG=ja, because manpages-ja install manpages to
   /usr/share/man/ja/man[1-8]
   If LANG=ja_JP.ujis, then man-db failed to find Japanese manpages in
   /usr/share/man/ja/man[1-8].

   We'll happy if man-db find /usr/share/man/ja/man[1-8] as well as
   /usr/share/man/ja_JP.ujis/man[1-8] when LANG=ja_JP.ujis.

> Please can you make a complete table of the needs of the various
> programs involved, and not simply tell me the minimum changes that does
> the stuff work on your machine?

Anyway, I'm happy with lv instead jless for PAGER.
(However, lv can't recognize prompt string for now.
 I requested to support it to lv maintainer.)

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI