Re: dpkg support for internationalized/localized programs

SV> On 29 Jul 1998 piotr.pogorzelski@ippt.gov.pl wrote:

>> [...]
>> Then we can localize an internationalized package. For many languages
>> And everybody agrees that there is no reason to keep in one package
>> all localized versions.

SV> I disagree. The FSF also disagrees. All GNU packages keep in the same
SV> package all localized message files (.gmo files) and we do not plan
SV> to splitting them yet.
Ok, after a while I think it is really unneccesary.
After a night spend on localizing some packages, I came into conclusion
that it woud be nice to introduce Locale attribute, to have some
information/control on internationalized/localized packages.
Otherwise one shoul look into source to check if it is internationalized.

But the problem I need to solve fast is what to do with localized
package?  I think I will make just new package, as it will be
an alternative to the original one untill it becomes internationalized.
So let's say original one is foo_1.2.3-4. Localized into Polish
will be pl-foo_1.2.3-1 which will conflict with original one.

It is upt to sysop which one it chooses.

SV> What you want is better achieved by making dpkg more clever, i.e. ideally
SV> dpkg should have the ability to exclude certain directories when
SV> installing packages. If we follow your suggestion of making a different
Can you explain it in more details?

SV> On the other side, I think the boot floppies should switch to gettext
SV> as soon as possible, so that translators may use all the gettext tools
SV> (msgmerge, for example) to manage the translated files.

It's hard, but I'm working on it.

--
piotr pogorzelski