Debian Metadata Standard -- proposed

Hello.  On the <debian-doc> list we've been working on the Debian
Metadata standard.  We're using the Dublin Core metadata element,
packaged in a RFC 822 format.  And of course I'm hoping that by design
it is fully internationalizable, and can be used to describe resources
in whatever language the resource is in.

I would appreciate it if someone would comment on the charset issues
and how best to solve them.  The qualifier functionality could perhaps
solve the problem (i.e., "Description: (CHARSET=foo) bar"), however,
others have pointed out that certain character sets such as asiastic
ideographs could cause problems since they cannot be display
continuously with the roman character set.

I'd appreciate it if someone in the know about character sets and
typical Debian application support for the same could comment on this
spec and offer ways to make it better for multiple character sets, if
possible.  I'd hate to encounter crippling design flaws later!

Please CC any replies to <debian-doc@lists.debian.org> (public
replies) or <doc-base@packages.debian.org> (i.e., me), since I'm not
subscribed to this list.

Thanks in advance.