Re: Why don't we put the .po template in /usr/doc/package ?

Giovanni Bortolozzo writes:
 > On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Marco d'Itri wrote:
 > >
 > > This is a waste of space. Those file are useful to about 50 people in
 > > the world: the translators for each language.
 > >

 > All po files waste at most a Mbyte on the disk: I think it isn't so much
 > space, don't you.
 > Perhaps if someone can simple find a po file to translate in his system,
 > there will be more than 50 translators in all the world.

Yes, the more visibility the translation project gets, the sooner
we'll have a fully i18n'd distrib.  And this solution has a damn low
cost, at least for now.  Then, when we'll have so many .pot files than
it takes a significant amount of space, that will mean the
translations will probably be visible to anyone, and it won't be
necessary any more to distribute them like that.

But for now, I do agree that is a good idea.  Some additionnal info
telling which languages need work would be nice too.

However, this probably means gettext will have to be distributed in
main, and not stay in experimental.  Anyway, I guess it doesn't get
bring much feedback to its author by staying there.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: