Re: Translations for new boot floppies

On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 at 01:45:52PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:

> As the maintainer of kbd, I'm wondering which fonts you plan to
> include on the floppies.

For this version, we are still using the same fonts than in Debian 1.3 :

disks-i386:

de-latin1-nodeadkeys.map.gz dvorak.map.gz es.map.gz
fi-latin1.map.gz fr-latin1.map.gz it.map.gz no.map.gz
pl.map.gz ru.map.gz se-latin1.map.gz uk.map.gz us.map.gz

(Total: 30KB)

disks-m68k:

amiga-de.map.gz amiga-us.map.gz atari-de.map.gz atari-se.map.gz
atari-uk-falcon.map.gz atari-us.map.gz

(Total: 23KB)

> There will probably be significant space
> saved if the fonts were stored away from the disks, together with the
> messages files, and automatically selected depending on the chosen
> language.

Yes, we can save a few KBs, but we add another step to the instructions
to build the boot disk. I don't know if our users will find that
"friendly" enough in this case (message files tend to be bigger),
but probably we will end up implementing a script to build the boot disk
from a set of "building blocks" to be found in the CDs and FTP sites.

As we are talking about kbd, may you make kbdconfig execute "zcat"
instead of "gzip -c -d"? We have a "zcat" utility in the boot floppies,
but no "gzip", and "ln -si zcat gzip" will confuse many users.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna