Re: Translations for new boot floppies

Michele Dalla Silvestra <dalla@pluto.linux.it> writes:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 12:15:26PM +0100, Michele Dalla Silvestra wrote:
> > >
> > > I like to contribute and/or test the standard version of boot
> > > floppies. How and what I can do?
> > >
> > At the moment there's no boot-floppies package for this version, but
> > the development sources are in a CVS repository at:
> > 	master.debian.org:/debian/home/sr1/lib/cvs/boot-floppies
> >
> > It's recommended to use ssh to access the repository:
> >
> > export CVS_RSH=ssh
> > cvs -d <your-login-id>d@master.debian.org:/debian/home/sr1/lib/cvs co \
> >   boot-floppies
> >
> > (Of course, that implies you have an account on master).
>
> Ehm... no!
>
> I've tried to make the Italian installation floppies for Debian 1.3,
> it is stored in ftp://ftp.pluto.linux.it, but I'm not an official
> Debian developer...

err, I think that your *are* a official Debian developer without being
made official ;-) Please send an email to new-maintainers@debian.org
with your PGP-key and a description what you have done/will do. There
is IMHO no reason why you're not a official Debian developer.

The same goes for the people from finnland, as for other countries.

A solution for the international bootdisks could be install scripts
for the different host operation systems, that are used to create the
boot floppies. For DOS based systems we could provide batch files in
different languages that asks for the preferred language and then
creates the right floppies. This mechanism can also be used to create
a special boot floppy for special hardware, i.e. the Adaptec VL-Bus
SCSI controller.

In an advanced scenario the batch file can ask all the important
questions that are asked during the install process so that there
aren't any questions during the installation.

Has someone experience with M$ Windows systems!? There is a mechanism
that allows to start a default application after inserting a
CD-ROM. Would it be useful to use this mechanism to start a program
that is able to create a set of bootfloppies and/or to repartition the
hard disks using fips and then to install Debian?

Bye
  Christian

--
Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany         leutloff@sundancer.oche.de