Re: Consistent kbd config TODO list (was Re: Backspace & Delete)

On 16 Nov 1997, Mark W. Eichin wrote:

> > We should ask the emacs/xemacs maintainers to ship their packages
> > preconfigured that way.
>
> Why? It makes sense for the user-de package to do the 8-bit
> customization, but the redefinitions of home/end are not appropriate
> in general; they change the way emacs responds to those keys in
> incompatible ways.  (The backspace/delete change is outright *wrong*;
> under X it does the right thing already, and I believe the right way
> to handle it on a tty involves having emacs actually read the stty
> settings and *obey* them.  Feel free to check the outstanding
> bugreports on this; debian-i18n doesn't seem like a particularly
> useful place to discuss it...)

OK. There are two different issues there. First one is 8-bit
customization. One of the goals for Debian 2.0 (as defined in Brian
White's "Upcoming Debian Releases" posts) is to ship the packages
preconfigured to use 8-bit charsets, so emacs/xemacs themselves, not a
different user-<locale> package should do it.  The second issue,
currently under discussion in debian-devel too, is that of consistent kbd
config ("Backspace & Delete" thread), and I agree that some proposed
bindings may be "strange" to emacs users. As it is not a settled issue, I
guess we may wait to implement it when/if we reach a consensus.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna