Re: creating Hurd chroots on Linux using DPKG_ROOT chrootless mode

Hi,

Quoting Samuel Thibault (2024-04-10 10:46:14)
> Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues, le mer. 10 avril 2024 10:09:02 +0200, a
> ecrit:
> > So I tried the whole thing again and we got a new blocker:
> >
> > https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=fakeroot
>
> I'm not sure why it's a blocker? Is the previous fakeroot version not
> enough?

if you want to co-install Multi-Arch:same packages, then they all need to have
the same version.

> > Do you see an easy way to fix fakeroot on hurd-i386
> If it was easy it would be fixed already :)
>
> > or should I just disable fakeroot mode?
> Note that there is the fakeroot-hurd alternative which is actually much more
> lightweight and much less hacky than fakeroot.

I think for now I'll just disable running the tests in fakeroot for hurd. It's
not that important to have that working anyway.

> > Or maybe I should switch my tests from hurd-i386 to hurd-amd64?
> You'll probably miss a lot of packages on hurd-amd64.

Okay, then I'll stay with hurd-i386 for now.

The next thing I have to investigate is pam:

It seems that new versions of login, passwd and util-linux require a more
recent version of pam than was last buildable:

 login : PreDepends: libpam-runtime but it is not going to be installed
         PreDepends: libpam-modules but it is not installable
 passwd : Depends: libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1) but it is not installable
          Depends: libpam-modules but it is not installable
 util-linux : PreDepends: libpam0g (>= 0.99.7.1) but it is not installable

I'll see if I can apply the patches from #1029097 locally to work around this.
Maybe this should be fixed upstream instead but I don't find a mention of hurd
in https://github.com/linux-pam/linux-pam/issues

Thanks!

cheers, josch