Re: Xorg setup - console permissions

Hi!

Wojciech Aniszewski wrote:
Ok.  I've got a T46 maybe.  It currently only runs on the console.  I haven't actually
set up X yet.  And I do not really use it very often...
No you don't, T46 doesn't exist:) There's T41,T42,T43 and then T60...

I'm thinking installing Hurd on my T30, guess I'll get another hdd for that

I side that, since I collected many ThinkPads of that era, excellent systems.. T40, T43, T30 and the corresponding R51, R52, R40  (the R version is essentially T + 10). They are generally quite well supported by FOSS OSs! Comparted to them, T60 and later Lenovos are flimsy in the chassis and worse and worse keyboards.

Especially the Intel video card is supported everywhere - albeit with glitches e.g. on NetBSD. However, the ATI works usually well too.

The only drawback is that if you want to change the WiFi card (some are not well supported) or the HDD you get the BIOS complaining and need to patch it - which lasts only until the BIOS battery lasts :) With the R52 I have that issue, i substitude the battery (which has opposite polarity than others, being manufacturing  of the system outsourced to Acer...) but it doesn't hold settings anyway.

Riccardo