Re: creating Hurd chroots on Linux using DPKG_ROOT chrootless mode

Hi,

Quoting Matthias Geiger (2023-11-24 23:56:11)
> I see. I was merely wondering if there was an easy way to test hurd builds
> locally without having to run a VM,

chrootless mode is for creating chroots for architectures that do not (yet)
have qemu user mode emulation support. This is usually the case for
architectures that are being bootstrapped as in the early days, there is no
qemu support available and/or the available emulators are unusably slow. But if
you look at it from the perspective of our linux architectures, then hurd is an
architecture that is permanently without qemu user mode emulation support.

If you want to compile software, then ideally, no binaries of the host
architecture (the architecture you are building for) are being run. So if you
just want to build hurd software (and not run it) then all you need is "just" a
cross compiler for hurd (should be named gcc-i686-gnu) but I'm not aware of
that being worked on right now?

> guess I went down another rabbithole :)

If you want to have a chroot, then I don't think the rabbit hole is that deep.
Only sysvinit patches need to get applied and things should just magically
start working with chrootless mode.

> Unfortunately I am pretty busy until Christmas so I can't test anything.  For
> now I'll upload revisions to see if that mitigates the build failure, but
> that's not ideal.

But then even once you have a chroot, that doesn't give you much unless you
want to turn that into a bootable disk image. I'm writing debvm patches to get
this done but then you are again inside a qemu virtual machine that you booted.
Just that this machine was created entirely without superuser privileges and is
bit-by-bit reproducible if we wait a bit more.

Thanks!

cheers, josch