Re: problem with hurd image

On 4/30/21, Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> wrote:
> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/stable/hurd-i386/
>
> I just tried the HURD image from 2019 and found a problem.  I boot with the
>
> default /etc/network/interfaces and see the following (after manually adding
>
> an IP address, that network doesn't have a DHCP server):
>
> root@debian:~# inetutils-ifconfig
> /dev/eth0 (2):
> < snipped for brevity>
>
> I change /etc/network/interfaces to the following:
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto /dev/eth0
> iface /dev/eth0 inet static
>   address 203.15.120.8
>   netmask 255.255.255.0
>   gateway 203.15.120.1
>
> Then after a reboot I don't see a /dev/eth0.
>
> Any suggestions?

Hi, Russell.. I'm not an actual Hurd "user" yet, am currently just a
lurker enjoying the programming progress of something that's a little
different.

That disclaimer aside, have you tried checking what the [kernel] is
doing when you boot? I've just waded through some connectivity issues
myself on regular Debian. /var/log/kern.log was my hero in fixing my
own issues in seconds now.

Debian-User list regularly suggests "dmesg" so I can also find what I
need with this:

sudo dmesg | grep renamed

Once in a while, I still have to dig through /var/log/kern.log.1 if
kern.log got too full and had to make a backup of itself.

What the above command does is find the line where the operating
system MIGHT be changing that [value] to something it thinks is best
appropriate. Debian has changed it to either "eno1" or "enp1s0" on
different laptops for me. It once used both on different occasions for
the same laptop. I have no idea what happened there.

IF those renamings are occurring in your case, you could **try**
changing your own settings to reflect that system determined value
instead of eth0.

There MIGHT also be a way to interject an extra step that changes it
back to eth0 for old times' sake, but that tends to be an ongoing
"battle" of sorts to keep track of it. I attempted that route while
playing with wireless connections using wifi dongles a while back and
finally gave up "fighting" it. No regrets so far.

Hope this MAYBE helps, at least even a little, while you wait for
someone else to answer..

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey