Disk full

In the kvm image debian-hurd-20210219.img I downloaded and built sdcc
from svn at sourceforge (with an additional patch applied). This worked.

Then I wanted to run the regression tests. This failed when the system
ran out of space on /. So I did a "make clean". Apparenlty, files were
gone, but df still showed 1 free blocks. I then tried a shutdown -r now,
which hangs after sending the mesage to all terminals.

After kvm "machine reset" I get to the filesystem repair promt.

Is this normal behaviour for Debian GNU/Hurd running out of disk space?
Is there an easy way to increase disk space in the kvm image?

Philipp