Re: sem_open is coming!

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 6:02 PM Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> More and more packages were depending on a working sem_open() function
> (scipy, pandas, matplotlib, etc.) so I "implemented" it (basically
> copied over the nptl implementation), it will be in libc0.3 2.31-6 which
> is getting built.

Forgive my ignorance... I thought semaphores were counted signals
implemented by the OS so they can be used across processes.

I don't believe libc should be in the business of sharing data across processes.

In fact, regarding userland sharing, a GNU_SHARED data section in an
elf binary will cause it to fail an audit or produce a finding.
Processes should not be sharing data like that because a corruption in
one process affects another process.

Jeff