Re: Just lost git on apt-get update

On 19/03/20 6:35 am, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I just fired up the VM and performed a update/upgrade. It looks like
> the latest changes whacked Git (see below). I'm having trouble
> re-installing it:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install git
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  git : Depends: git-man (< 1:2.25.1-.) but 1:2.26.0~rc2-1 is to be installed

Now you have to wait for the bug sin git 2.26 to be resolved and that
newer git package to build and be accepted into your arch of the distro.

OR, purge the git-man package first then try to re-install git.

> And here was the result of the update/upgrade:
>
> $ cat /var/log/apt/history.log
> Start-Date: 2020-03-18  13:29:39
> Commandline: apt-get -y dist-upgrade

This is why the "-y" option is a really Bad Idea (tm) with dist-upgrade.
It drops from the system _anything_ that stand in the way of even a
single package update. I have seen it drop kernel drivers before with
painful results.

IME one should only use -y with a regular 'upgrade' (which fails'-safe)
and leave dist/full-upgrade for manual use only.
 That way incomplete transitions like this git one do not break the
system but still get installed when they reach a stable point.

Amos