Broken random number generator

I'm fairly certain /dev/urandom is broken.

I'm trying to setup a machine to investigate this failure of Crypto++
(https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libcrypto%2B%2B&arch=hurd-i386&ver=5.6.4-9&stamp=1565561714&raw=0):

    Testing operating system provided nonblocking random number generator...
    FAILED:  100000 generated bytes compressed to 98749 bytes by DEFLATE

The problem could be Crypto++, but...

I performed a apt-get install:

    gcc g++ gdb git subversion automake autoconf libtool

Some Python package complained it failed to get random numbers.

I just performed an apt-get install:

    emacs-nox

And GnuTLS failed to initialize due to the random number generator.

Three different programs are failing due to the random number generator.

Something is sideways with /dev/urandom on this distribution.