Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

Petter Reinholdtsen [2018-10-16 15:55 +0200]:
> [Benda Xu]
> > I was about to reply to this thread, but you have completely expressed
> > what I want to say:
> >
> > 1. systemd-shim is not necessary, even for DEs (except GNOME3).
> > 2. sysvinit-core is very stable and do not need new uploads.
>
> Thank you for expressing so well the cause of the fate for sysvinit in
> Debian.  It seem clear its proponents believe everything is OK and no
> effort is needed to save sysvinit.  If this continues, sysvinit in
> Debian will continue to rot and end up being removed.
>
> I know from maintaining the sysvinit set of packages that it require
> work to maintain them.  There are hundreds of open bugs against the
> sysvinit packages in Debian already.

It's not only that. The sysvinit package *itself* doesn't actually do much
really. That's not to downplay your past involvement there of course (e. g.
developing insserv alone was a huge task), but the *real* maintenance is in all
the packages that *ship* SysV init scripts.

SysV init leaves all the really hard problems to these, as it cannot really do
much by itself. That's a fact that people that keep yelling "but SysV init was
so easy!" keep finessing..

So "how many RC bugs does sysvinit have" is a completely useless metric IMHO.

Martin