Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

Philipp Kern writes ("Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support"):
> Could someone reiterate about what the current state of init diversity
> is supposed to be? Is it assumed to be best effort of every maintainer
> being required to ship an init script next to the systemd unit that is
> actually used by default[1]?

I think describint that as `effort' is rather much.

> Can we rely on sysvinit users to report the
> bugs with the scripts or how intensively do they need to be tested?

You should rely on users to report bugs.

> Similarly, are maintainers allowed to ship timer units in lieu of
> cronjobs? As an example I invested some time in
> prometheus-node-exporter[2] to run textfile collectors of monitoring
> data (SMART, apt) in the background. Would I have been required by
> policy to make sure that all of this also works on a system with
> sysvinit?

Obviously it would be better to make ti work with cron.  Ideally it
would go into cron.daily which I assume works with systemd too.

But if you do just the systemd thing, I think if someone sends you a
patch to make it work with cron I think you should accept and carry
that patch.

Ian.