Re: armel/armhf arch qualification for buster: call for DSA, Security, toolchain concernsj

Hi Roger!

On 07/23/2018 10:42 AM, Roger Shimizu wrote:
> I talked to a few people about keeping armel in buster, during 1st and
> 2nd day in debcamp.
> Seems the blocker is just the buildd server hardware, and memory size it has.

According to my colleague Alex Graf at SUSE, you can definitely build
ARMv7 on arm64 using chroots. The only problem with chroots is that
"uname -a" shows "armv8" which some userspace applications are stumbling
over.

openSUSE/SLE builds armv7 packages in OBS/IBS using a fully emulated system
using KVM.

As for the hardware, you should watch out for hardware with ARM Cortex Cores.
Alternatively, X-Gene 1. ThunderX, ThunderX2 and Centriq are definitely not
supported.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz