Re: Future of kFreeBSD in Debian unstable

On Fri, 2018-03-02 at 16:19 +0000, James Clarke wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2018, at 00:12, Svante Signell <svante.signell@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> Hi Svante,
> Firstly thanks again for the VM offer. The main issue now is the lack
> of porters, as there needs to be at least one person willing to spend
> time checking on the buildds and, since this is a non-Linux
> architecture, maintaining the kernel-related packages. Given that
> it's amd64 and i386, there shouldn't really be many GCC/binutils
> toolchain issues to worry about which can plague less-popular ports,
> but there is then the issue of teaching language runtimes how to work
> on kFreeBSD.
>
> As has been mentioned before, the sensible thing seems to be to move
> over to debian-ports as well.

Is this really necessary, I'm hosting a buildd for GNU/Hurd and don't
see any problems with that?

> Yes, mini-dak has a few annoyances which are a pain when they occur,
> but they're manageable, and probably a lot easier than having to
> have a DD sign all uploads (as would be the case if it stayed on ftp-
> master). Moreover, I've been working on patching dak to work for
> debian-ports, so hopefully we will be switching over to that in the
> not too distant future once it supports everything we need.

What would be gained by moving to debian-ports??

> As far as my time goes, I am willing to help setup and maintain
> buildd infrastructure for the port, but sadly I can't set aside time
> to be a porter, though that may well change in the summer once this
> academic year is over. If anyone who wants to see this port continue
> has time they can regularly devote to kFreeBSD porting, no matter how
> little, please let us know, as without you the port will likely
> suffer.

As far as the buildd goes, please let me know your wishes in a private
mail and I'll set up a VM for you, size, partitions, software for
me/you to install, etc

   I. I already havea few kfreebsd images, but they are not upgraded for
      some time. Regarding bug fixing, many bugs (except PATH_MAX ones)
      appearing for GNU/Hurd also appear for GNU/kFreeBSD. So, I think it
      is rally nice to have a sister architecture to Hurd pushing
      upstreams to really be writing portable code.

Thanks!