[debian-hurd-Bugs][315928] programs continuing to run after being closed

debian-hurd-Bugs item #315928 was changed at 12/02/2018 21:43 by Samuel Thibault
You can respond by visiting:
https://alioth.debian.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=411594&aid=315928&group_id=30628

Category: None
Group: None
Resolution: None

Initial Comment:
I am not sure that this bug is related specificly to debian gnu/hurd but i have not experienced in using the Linux kernel so i though i would report it just in case.

i have just installed Debian gnu/hurd on a physical machine and logged in as the root user.
i then made a perl file with nano and saved it.
i then exited nano ran the script then opened up nano again and received a message informing me that:
File factorial.pl is being edited (by root with nano 2.7.4 PID 699): continue?

i then ran ps to check what was running and i had 2 nano's running
i then repeated the process above and found that about half the time i got the same result and i ended up with 4 nano's running.

but after looking at ps in more detail i saw that i also had 3 bashes and one sh still running (these where commands i have typed before)

i am not sure if its normal for bash or sh to keep running in the background after launching a new bash session but i seems to be unusual that nano would continue running as well despite me exiting the application with Ctrl-X.

I am not a very skilled gnu/Linux user to i could just be missing something here but i though i might as well report this just in case.

in case i visit this site infrequently and you want more information from me my email is:
tomlukeywood@fastmail.co.uk

Date: 12/02/2018 21:43

Message:
Are you sure you typed Ctrl-X, and not Ctrl-Z? The latter would put the process in the background indeed.

I have never experienced such kind of program remaining behind. It'd be useful to install the debugging version of the program and attach to them with gdb, to get a backtrace to see where they would be stuck.