Re: How to identify "running on a Hurd system"?

Narcis Garcia, on dim. 20 août 2017 18:27:18 +0200, wrote:
> Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > The problem lies in uname's interface itself: it doesn't allow a system
> > to be composed of a microkernel and userland microkernel servers. The
> > current behavior of uname is the best compromise that could be found.
> > What application will mostly care of as a version is the version of the
> > application-visible interface, and thus the microkernel servers, thus
> > uname -r's result. Then if you really want the detail, there is uname -v
>
> The "GNU" word is written somewhere. If uname (and maybe other calls)
> does not find main microkernel's name, it should be enough with
> rewriting that word with the right one any program should find.

I'm not sure what you mean. For the record,

$ uname -s
GNU
$ uname -r
0.9
$ uname -v
GNU-Mach 1.8+git20170609-486-dbg/Hurd-0.9

So it's a GNU system, release 0.9, using Mach 1.8, and Hurd 0.9.

What exactly do you see wrong here?

> Anyway, no bug registered for coreutils about uname?

The problem is not uname(1), but uname(2), which is POSIX. Good luck
with making that move :)

Samuel