Enable PIE by default in GCC?

Hi,

as $subj asks, should we ask for GCC with PIE enabled by default, like
is done in the majority of the other archs (i.e. [1])?
Is it supposed to work on Hurd as well, or does it require any kind of
work for it? (Yes, I could dive in GCC sources, but since it is not an
easy task, I figured somebody might know that already.)

If so, I can send the patch for GCC, and also for dpkg (so it considers
PIE as enabled by default in GCC).

Apparently the current situation causes build issues when PIE is
enabled for us, e.g. src:gpgme1.0, as C*FLAGS get
"-specs=/usr/share/dpkg/pie-compile.specs", and LDFLAGS gets
"-specs=/usr/share/dpkg/pie-link.specs".

[1] as found in GCC's debian/rules.defs:
 pie_archs = amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel mips64el \
             ppc64el s390x sparc sparc64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386

Pino Toscano