Re: Implementing protected payloads in GNU Mach, mig, and the Hurd

Hi :)

Quoting Samuel Thibault (2014-04-04 21:18:52)
> Justus Winter, le Fri 29 Nov 2013 00:56:47 +0100, a écrit :
> > I've been reworking the receiver object lookup in
> > Hurd/mig/gnumach. I'll briefly sketch the current state of affairs.
>
> How is this patchset going?

I'm still working on this.  All the receiver lookup fixes I've done
recently will enable us to switch to protected payloads with ease.

The first program that I successfully patched to use protected
payloads was mach-defpager.  With
07e46eb2e25583f0f3e06342f0c854769b353b10 in place, converting it was
straight forward:

http://paste.debian.net/88451

The hurd-ci repository contains gnumach with protected payloads, mig
with the patches I posted last November, and the patched
mach-defpager.  I'm using these packages on all my Hurd machines and I
haven't encountered any problems.

There are some loose ends I need to tie up in the kernel
implementation, but it seems to work quite nicely already.  I've
uploaded the kernel documentation here:

http://darnassus.sceen.net/~teythoon/mach-protected-payloads/Inter-Process-Communication.html

The potential libpager deadlock I fixed last month
(59b6c01edcd7013a112aeaf9d0bc33a8d2a2b8f1) was indeed the one I was
looking for.  With that gone, I was able to fix the receiver lookups
in libpager.  I merged that patch today.  With that in place, I was
finally able to boot a Hurd system with an ext2fs.static patched to
use protected payloads :)

> I see patches pending in my mbox, but AIUI they were meant for RFC
> only?

Correct.

Justus