Re: Building glibc-2.19-14~0 with fakeroot-hurd/fakreoot-tcp

Svante Signell, le Wed 12 Nov 2014 00:16:37 +0100, a écrit :
> On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 00:07 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Svante Signell, le Mon 10 Nov 2014 17:59:45 +0100, a écrit :
> > > Previously glibc-2.19-* built fine with fakeroot-hurd (no testsuite),
> > > but the latest version does not: glibc-2.19-14~0:
> >
> > But what "previously" is exactly?  Did you try to downgrade the libc or
> > hurd installed on your box?  Note that I don't think it depends on the
> > version of the glibc that you build, but on the version of the packages
> > which are already installed.  Knowing which precise version of installed
> > packages trigger the bug will probably help a lot to determine where the
> > issue comes from.
>
> Bisecting is of course the best method, but downgrading
> gnumach:x/hurd:y/glibc:z = x^i*y^j*z^k and rebuilding glibc with
> fakeroot-hurd for each iteration would take weeks in computer time, not
> even considering personal time. Add to that other packages that can
> affect the search: binutils, etc?

Err, why would you need to rebuild glibc each time?  Don't you know
exactly the dh_install command which fails?

Also, you don't need to try all combinations first: it's probably a bug
in just one package, so you just need to try to downgrade the various
packages by just one version.  That makes just: downgrade libc, reboot,
try to run dh_install, downgrade hurd, reboot, try to run dh_install,
downgrade gnumach, reboot, try to run dh_install, and repeat up to
reaching the versions with which you believe it worked in the patch.
That should not take very long.

Samuel