Bogus low-memory mode

I am attempting to install the Debian Gnu/Hurd release on circa 2005
Thinkpad G41, 2 GB of memory and a 60 GB IDE disk. Early in the the
process, I got a dire warning about insufficient memory, telling me
that something like 393 MB of memory are required and that if I
proceed, bad things are likely to happen. This system has more than 4x
that amount of memory. I've continued the installation, which is
proceeding very slowly, with "Low memory mode" prominently displayed
at the top of the screen.

I realize that this project is very resource-constrained, but a bug
like this on very standard hardware make me wonder how much testing
was done prior to this "release".