Hurd 2013 05 installation problem

I was attempting to install the Debian Hurd 2013 05 system on a VirtualBox VM. Using the netinst .iso I got as far as the software selection item in the installer which failed.
The syslog had a lot of messages but I believe the pertinent one was

The following packages have unmet dependencies
iproute : Depends: iproute2 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages
tasksel: apt-get failed (100)

I skipped that section and proceeded to install Grub, this has given me a bootable Hurd but without a lot of the important utils (e.g. less)

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Peter