Re: Porting lldpd

Hello,

It seems this remained unanswered.

Vincent Bernat, le Thu 12 Sep 2013 23:11:38 +0200, a écrit :
> To get information from the system, currently, I plan to rely on
> getifaddrs() to get the list of interfaces as well as their IP
> addresses.

Yes, that part should work.

> I think that speaking to servers is too low level for the
> purpose but maybe some information is only available through those
> servers.

That might be true indeed.

> For example, it would be nice to have link speed and duplex. Is
> it possible (like with ethtool on Linux)?

I don't think we have plugged that in the interface.

> Also, it seems that VLAN, bridging and link aggregation are not
> supported by Hurd. Is that right?

Nobody worked on VLAN and link aggregation, indeed. I shouldn't be hard
to implement these as translators piling on each other.  The
eth-multiplexer, which is actually about bridging, could be a start to
implement the others.

> I also need to receive and send raw Ethernet packets. tcpdump does seem
> to be able to receive packets with Hurd. Maybe I could just read
> /dev/eth0 but it would be better to be able to provide a BPF
> filter. From what I have gathered, I would need something like
> eth-filter. Is that the right way to go?
>
>  settrans -c /var/run/lldpd/dev/lldpd-eth0 /hurd/eth-filter \
>      -i /dev/eth0 -r "some filter" -s "some filter"

Well, that's a way to do it indeed.  You however may want to simply
directly open eth0 and apply the BPF filter, without an intermediary
translator doing it. That depends on your workflow.

> Do I need eth-multiplexer?

I don't think you need it.

Samuel