Re: Wanted: Superstar hacker to port Mono to hurd-i386

On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 11:20 +0530, harish badrinath wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:49 AM, Jo Shields <directhex@apebox.org> wrote:
> > http://www.mono-project.com/Porting#Operating_System_Ports notes that OS
> > ports aren't too much work if the OS is POSIX and the CPU work has
> > already been done, so I don't think this would be an outlandish amount
> > of work for any skilled Hurd hacker.
> >
> > Any takers? I'd really like to see this running on all the Debian
> > architectures, if possible.
> Please count me in. I also unfortunately, not a superstar hacker.
> I am also probably at the bottom of the table of "skilled Hurd hackers".
>
> How do i get started ??

Judging by the HURD porting guide, and the URL I posted earlier (a
reasonable introduction) I'd start by:

* Forking upstream's master on github
* Joining #monodev on irc.gimp.net
* Looking at our downstream kfreebsd port on
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-mono/packages/mono.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master-experimental-patches/kfreebsd_support
* Adding a HURD entry in configure.in's 'case "$host" in' section
* Running a configure --with-sgen=no for now (Boehm GC is the default
GC, and already supports HURD)
* editing Linux-specific (or any other POSIX kernel closer to Hurd, I
guess) defines in mono/* to also apply to Hurd
* Trying a build - and hacking on anything that breaks, in combination
with tips from the runtime hackers in #monodev

I guess that final step is the bit where "Hurd hacker" comes into play.
Fortunately since x86 is mostly a competed problem, your issues are more
likely to come from esoteric differences in header defines (i.e. hacking
on .h files) than from needing to emit any glaringly different CPU
instructions (i.e. hacking on mini-x86.c and tramp-x86.c)