First draft of a "Bits from the Debian GNU/Hurd porters", Jan/Feb 2012

Hi,

As promised in a previous email. Comments encouraged.
I think there are things to write about, even if the percentage has not
changed much.

I think the number of gnumach and hurd (bugfix/feature improvement)
releases since July 2011 should be mentioned. Can somebody add these
numbers/the text for it?

Best regards,
Svante
Comments encouraged: Add/remove/forgotten/etc.
Thanks!

Last mail: July 2011
Subject: Bits from the Debian GNU/Hurd porters

Greetings,

It is now one and a half years since the last "Bits from Debian
GNU/Hurd porters[1]", it's time for an update on the port[2].

 * Installation CDs

The Debian Installer is included in the recent three CD set[3], now
with a graphics and semi-graphics interface! A DVD is and a netinst
iso is also available. For the impatioent we have a ready-to-go qemu
image[4].

 * GHM meeting

At the Gnu Hackers Meeting in Paris in August 2011, Samuel Thibault
presented "GNU/Hurd, aka. Extensibility from the Ground" with a very
good response from the audience. A slides[5] and a video[6] from that
presentaion is available.

 * Wheezy release goal

Since the ftp-master meeting in March 2011 considerable improvements
have been made, and a technology release of GNU/Hurd with Wheezy as
was made for kFreeBSD did for Squeeze is still the target. More
information is available at the updated TODO list[7]. With respect
to package porting only a few packages will remain at the
ftp://ftp.debian-ports.org site, when all bugs reports with patches
are attended by the Debian Maintainers.

 * Archive coverage

Thanks to the efforts of various Debian/Hurd porters, the percentage
of packages built for Debian GNU/Hurd is reaching about 71%, an
increase by 3%. This can sound as a small imprevement since July 2011
but it is not.

There are currently 1 serious, 52 important, 14 normal, 2 wishlist, 7
forwarded and 4 pending upload bugs, all with patches. When these have
been properly attended, the percentage will incrrase considerably.

The remaining 28% of packages are either waiting for other packages to
become available (see [8] for a (big) graph of those relationships) or
are failing for some reason[9]; a complete list of build failures can be
found at [10].

To name some packages, we have Icewaesel, Abiword, Gnumeric, etc, and
soon the whole Gnome and KDE suites.

The autobuilders are keeping the pace relavitely nicely ad we have now
a new kvm-based Debian buildd: ironforge.sceen.net.

The sister project Arch Hurd has recently released a Live CD and
have also DDE integrated to enable the use of up to date GNU/linux
drivers for GNU/Hurd.

 * Developer machines

exodar.sceen.net is a new Debian porter box and there is also a new public
Hurd box, darnassus@sceen.net.

The strauss.debian.net machine is a DD-accessible box, and accounts can
be opened to non-DD alioth members on request to admin@strauss.debian.net

 * Hardware support

Work on the DDE layer to seamlessly integrate Linux 2.6 drivers in
userland processes isin the intergation stage. Network card support is
basically working on real hardware, and the overhead is quite
low. Integration of other driver classes is also on the roadmap.

for the Debian GNU/Hurd porters,

Samuel Thibault

Partial people list:

(Please help me update names and tasks, Alternately this part should
be removed.)

Samuel Thibault : debian installer, autobuilders, glibc
Olaf Buddenhagen, Gillem Jover : community, mentors
Jeremie Koenig : glibc, openjdk
Pino Toscano : KDE
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort : Gnome
Thomas Schwinge : GNU gdb, gcc
Svante Signell, Gabriele Giacone, Tanguy Le Carrour : Package porting

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/07/msg00002.html
[2] http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd
[3] http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/installer/cdimage
[4] http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/debian-hurd.img.tar.gz