Cannot get netdde working on any of my machines

Hi folks (Samuel mainly I guess?)

I am unable to get netdde working on any of the new machines I have set up in the last week or so.
I've tried with a 3com 3c905b/c (doesn't seem to be listed specifically in the drivers_list).  I
have tried with the embedded Intel e100 and I just stuck a d-link in today with the Realtek RTL8129
based chipset in it.

I do the following:

settrans -fg /dev/eth0
settrans -fg /dev/netdde
settrans -fg /servers/socket/2

dpkg-reconfigure hurd

Seems to set the appropriate translators on /dev/netdde and /dev/ethX but doesn't do anything for
/servers/socket/2.

So I try:

settrans -cap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i /dev/ethX (0,1,2 nothing) -a 192.168.10.xx -g
192.168.10.1 -m 255.255.255.0

Then no matter what device I choose I get:

/hurd/pfinet: device_open on /dev/ethX: (os/device) no such device

Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks,

Barry