Re: inetutils & netdde

Guillem Jover, le Mon 21 May 2012 16:51:52 +0200, a écrit :
> On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 00:33:33 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > inetutils-ifconfig doesn't like being passed /dev/eth0, could somebody
> > work on making it happy with it?
>
> I've not checked the details of the new netdde stuff, but I'm assuming
> this does not work currently because the SIOC[GS]IF family of ioctls
> (also assuming they are supported by netdde)

There is code for that in dde, maybe it's just missing an RPC/ioctl link
inside libmachdev.

> do not have a link/mapping between the /dev/ethN to the ifr_name from
> struct ifr,

I'm not following you.

> if so wouldn't it be better to hide this fact in glibc so that not
> every and each program doing low-level network setup needs to be
> adapted?

I don't really see what would be different between gnumach and
netdde in that concern:  AIUI inetutils-ifconfig opens a socket and
makes ioctl calls on it. So it's discussing with pfinet. Pfinet
opens a file-based master port instead of using the mach master
port, then uses device_open() etc. exactly as it does when using
the Mach driver. So to me it's probably just a missing link
somewhere in libmachdev to reach the ioctl-handling code in libdde
(libdde_linux26/lib/src/net/core/dev.c).

Samuel