Re: Comments on libmemcached patch?

On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 14:25 -0400, Nigel Horne wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2011, at 12:42, Svante Signell wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Attached is a small patch to make libmemcached build under GNU/Hurd.
> > Comments are welcome!
>
> Moving things from the stack to the heap is not a good idea.  Is it possible to avoid that?

Thank you for your reply. Are you referring to this specific package or
in general terms?

For this patch, the amount of data dynamically allocated is not large, a
few strings of size much less than PATH_MAX of 4096 bytes. According to
the manpage for malloc the default MMAP_THRESHOLD is at 128kB.

Alternately asprintf could be used instead of malloc+snprintf, but
asprintf is not standardized in C or POSIX (yet?). Additionally, it also
allocates memory from the heap??

Anybody else has comments, before I submit the bug report?