Issuing "halt" locks up computer and working graphical browser (dillo)

First of all, if anyone is interested, dillo 0.8.6 compiles fine on debian
hurd. You need to install glib-1.2, gtk+1.2 and fltk-1.1. And browsing
looks like it did in the mid 90s. But it works, loads images etc! Just
issue "--disable-gtktest --disable-dlgui" when compiling dillo.

I have never been able to make a clean shutdown with hurd. And the system
freezes on me every time. I wouldn't really care if i didn't risk
destroying my filesystem in the process. As you know it takes a while to
set everything up and once i have got it running i would like to be able
to keep it so for at least a couple of months.

Regarding cd reading errors i have had them too even though the checksum
on my disc is okey. I used it to install on qemu and didn't come across
the same errors. I solved the problems by using the online installer.

Finally, is the ext2fs program eating all your cpu as well or is it just
on my system?

I hope it doesn't sound like i'm complaining. I have got fvwm2 running and
i'm as happy as ever! Yes its slower than running linux. But twice the
fun!

Oh, yes, forgot to mention that sudo just locks the console when i try to
issue commands through it. It asks for my password and after it is
accepted nothing happens. Just thought you should know.

/Peter