Running perl test suite on virtual box, results in machine rebooting/hanging

Hello,
     I am running into problems running perl tests (make test). The VM
instance becomes unresponsive or reboots automatically.
This has happened consistently a few times, for me to become aware of
some sort of correlation between make test on perl dir and
reboot/non-responsiveness (I usually start the test in screen and
check back very irregularly ).

This time the error was:
irq timeout: status= 0x48 (Drive ready data request)
hd0: disabled DMA
ide0:reset master: error (0x00?)
and the machine was completely unresponsive (no bash prompt,etc).

A google search revealed that not many people have faced/reported this issue.

Regards,
Harish