Riddling absence of /usr/lib/libattr.la

Hi,

since yesterday i am proud operator of a Debian GNU/Hurd installed via
  http://people.debian.org/~sthibault/hurd-i386/installer/cdimage/netinst.iso
in a kvm image file on Debian GNU/Linux 6.0.2 amd64.

Building my projects GNU xorriso or libisofs from source tarball
failed with missing
  /usr/lib/libattr.la
if libacl-dev is installed.

I solved this by copying /usr/lib/libattr.la from the hosting
system to Hurd, where i had to change its content from
  libdir='/usr/lib'
  libdir='/lib/i386-gnu'

But libisofs-1.1.4 builds fine on buildd ("bach") for hurd-i386.
The version numbers of libacl and libattr packages match mine.
So i am riddling what might be the decisive difference in my installation.

The tarball and its build system are generated by autotools.
I did:

  $ wget http://files.libburnia-project.org/releases/libisofs-1.1.4.tar.gz
  $ tar xzf libisofs-1.1.4.tar.gz
  $ cd libisofs-1.1.4
  $ ./configure && make
  [...]
  checking sys/acl.h usability... yes
  checking sys/acl.h presence... yes
  checking for sys/acl.h... yes
  checking for acl_to_text in -lacl... yes
  checking attr/xattr.h usability... yes
  checking attr/xattr.h presence... yes
  checking for attr/xattr.h... yes
  checking for listxattr in -lc... yes
  [... more configuration and lots of compilation ...]
  /bin/bash ./libtool --silent --tag=CC --mode=link [...]
  [...] libisofs/libisofs_libisofs_la-md5.lo -lpthread -lz -lacl
  grep: /usr/lib/libattr.la: No such file or directory
  /bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib/libattr.la: No such file or directory
  libtool: link: `/usr/lib/libattr.la' is not a valid libtool archive
  make: *** [libisofs/libisofs.la] Error 1
  $

libacl-dev was installed by apt-get from the default location
  http://jk.fr.eu.org/debian/hurd-installer/mirror
dpkg -l reports:
  libacl1        2.2.47-3
  libacl1-dev    2.2.47-3

apt-file on the hosting GNU/Linux says that /usr/lib/libattr.la
would belong to libattr1-dev which i installed for xattr support
anyway. But there was no such file installed here.
  libattr1      1:2.4.46-3
  libattr1-dev  1:2.4.46-3

buildd log (from "bach") reports
  Setting up libattr1-dev (1:2.4.46-3) ...
  Setting up libacl1-dev (2.2.47-3) ...
and the same ./configure messages about acl and xattr as my Hurd.

After copying and adapting the missing file, GNU xorriso gets linked with
  libattr.so.1 => /lib/i386-gnu/libattr.so.1 (0x0106c000)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas