Re: Runit on debian hurd

Hi!

You mean <supervision@list.skarnet.org>?  Dead in which way?

> I am stuck in the check phase of compilation.

I once took some notes at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/open_issues/runit.html> -- but these
don't really bring us any further...  ;-)

> I have narrowed it down to src/sv.check .. by placing set -x in
> various scripts in the source tree. When i do try to compile it using
> the advertised installation steps, i run into the following problems.
> (a) Any echo statements in src/sv.check is not being shown
> (b) The "check" process just hangs
>
> <snip>
> + echo Checking sv...
> Checking sv...
> + pwd
> + env - PATH=/root/runit/admin/runit-2.1.1/compile:/root/runit/admin/runit-2.1.1/compile:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
> ctmp=/root/runit/admin/runit-2.1.1/compile/check-tmp sv.check
> + cat -v
> </snip>
>
> It looks like sv.check is "hanging" and it seems to be hanging because
> cat is not getting any input.
> The curious thing is
> running
> <command>
> PATH=/root/runit/admin/runit-2.1.1/compile:/root/runit/admin/runit-2.1.1/compile:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin
> ctmp=/root/runit/admin/runit-2.1.1/compile/check-tmp sv.check
> </command>
> from the command line seems to show echo commands i put in file
> sv.check, when i comment out wait from the file sv.check, the process still
> hangs.

What you're describing seems to match what I remember from testing runit
years ago on GNU/Hurd.  You could check with rpctrace what sv.check is
doing.  Sorry, but I don't have any more specific suggestions right now.

Grüße,
 Thomas